40 days of prayer & fasting 2024
The Lectio Course
In 2024 we are focusing on The Lectio Course. You can read more about it here. We want to take this time to learn discipline and listen to God.
Join Pete Greig, founder of 24-7 Prayer, for The Lectio Course, an absorbing and inspiring five-part series that walks you through the practice of Lectio Divina.
Learn the rhythms of reading, meditation, prayer, and contemplation as they apply to the Bible. Hear the astonishing stories of men and women who have encountered Jesus through this ancient yet astoundingly relevant spiritual habit.
Discover how to hear God in His Word, so you can be equipped to take His love to the world.
Here's what we're encouraging you to do during these 40 days
1. Pray. We encourage you to start, continue, or step it up in your prayer life. This Lectio Course is going to help guide you in prayer, and below you'll find different apps that will help you in your prayer time. You may be just starting out or you might be a seasoned prayer, but where you're starting from...take it up a notch.
2. Fast something & start something. Fasting means to give something up. We hope that you'll choose at least 1 thing to fast. Choose something that's actually challenging.
(ideas: fast food, unhealthy eating, processed foods, a specific beverage(s), staying up late, sleeping in, desserts, social media, shopping, spending, toxic habits, phone/media time,...etc)
Start something during this time that help you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Try beginning a new habit that you might implement long term.
(ideas: wake up early for God time-Bible-prayer-quiet, start exercising, start a prayer journal/tracker, start a Bible reading plan, start doing a daily prayer walk, start an hour of family time each day, start a daily act of service, start serving in the church, encourage one person each day...etc)
4. Join a LifeGroup during the 40 days. Here's the schedule. Every LifeGroup will meet WEEKLY during these 40 days. Don't do these 40 days alone! LifeGroups will be going through a video series on The Lectio Course each week, followed by questions and prompts to help guide you, encourage you, and get you connected. It IS possible to do these videos on your own using Right Now Media, but life is better together. And we believe prayer is better together. These sessions are posted on our Movement Church playlist on Right Now Media. Through this link you can create a FREE Right Now Media account (Movement Church pays for this, enjoy!) and watch them all.
5. Walk & Pray the Circle. Over the past few years we have walked a circle around our church property as we prayed for our church, community, and our relationship with Jesus. We're still encouraging you to do that in 2024, except this time it'll be a little different. We encourage you to walk 2 circles around the church (try to do it at least once during the 40 days). On the 1st lap: Talk to God and ask Him to speak to you. On the 2nd lap: walk in silence. No music, no talking, just silence. Listen for God speaking to you. Allow Him space and silence to talk.
Other AMAZING tools to help you!
1. How to Hear From God book for purchase. An incredible book
You were created to enjoy a real, conversational relationship with God.
The Bible says that hearing the voice of our Creator is both central and natural to our existence as humans.
When life falls apart, we need God's comfort.
In moments of cultural turmoil, we need his clarity.
Facing difficult decisions, we need his guidance.
Desiring a deeper faith, we need God to say something, anything, to turn the monologue we call prayer into a genuine conversation.
2. Inner Room app: a free prayer list app that turns your mobile phone into a prayer room.
3. Lectio for Families app: a free devotional app that helps families to read the Bible and explore faith through conversation and prayer together.
4. Lectio 365 app: a free daily devotional app that helps you pray the Bible every day.